Author: By Daniel Davies, Press Association
The actor, famous for playing Albert Square’s Dirty Den, raised the alarm with
neighbours after fleeing the burning flat.
Grantham, 62, was back on stage last night after suffering smoke inhalation
and a small cut to his hand.
Fire fighters dashed to the ground-floor flat in Swansea around 12.30pm
yesterday after reports of a fire with someone trapped inside.
One casualty was given first aid at the scene, Mid and West Wales Fire and
Rescue Service said.
Station manager Gary Williams told the Evening Post newspaper Grantham had
escaped and was standing outside when fire crews arrived.
“He received first aid treatment from the fire service before being given
to the paramedics to deal with,” he said.
“I can confirm that the person involved was Mr Grantham.
“I would like to compliment Mr Grantham on his actions because once he
realised that the premises was on fire he thought of the other people in the
block of flats and he went round the flat knocking doors, raising the alarm
to alert other people in the premises of the danger and subsequently whilst
doing so suffered minor smoke inhalation and a minor injury to his hand
which has been dealt with.”
The fire was confined to the kitchen. An investigation showed it involved an
electrical fault in a washer-drier, Mr Williams said.
The actor was staying there while appearing at the Swansea Grand Theatre in
stage show Write Me a Murder.
A statement by the theatre said: “Leslie is very pleased to have escaped
unharmed and sends his thanks to the fire brigade, police and paramedics who
attended the fire at his rented marina apartment.
“He also wishes to extend his gratitude to the person who called the
“Despite his experience Leslie says he is pleased to be in Swansea, and
indeed, looks forward to further visits in the future.”
View full article here
Author: Ezine Article BoardThis author has published 5773 articles so far.