My Week: Jason Donovan

Author: Interview by Gillian Orr


The only time I get to see my kids at the moment is at 6.30 in the morning, so
I get up with them and walk them to school. The reviews are in from last
night and we come out pretty well, so I’m happy. I have a swim and a steam
to relax and then head to the theatre for 2.30 in the afternoon. Getting
ready for the show doesn’t take that long, considering we’re playing drag
queens. The eye make-up is a mask so it’s not a huge effort. I wear a lot of
base and do a full body shave, though; I thought waxing would be a little
bit too painful.

Opening night doesn’t go badly, but, funnily enough, it is tougher than the
press night and the crowd seems a little less buoyant that we expected. I
suppose more of my peers and industry people are here and that makes me
pretty nervous. After the show my agent, close friends and the casting
director come back to my room for drinks. Then we go to the official party
and I do a bit of press work. I’m not a fan of after-show parties because I
find it’s a bit like being in a goldfish bowl. Tonight is a bit like that
but I have a pretty good time and get home about 2am.


I sleep in, then do boring things around the house like pay bills. I catch up
with my dad in Australia on the phone and tell him what’s been going on.
Tonight the show is a far more relaxed experience. It’s really hard
performing every night and I’m starting to feel that now. We might have
opened only this week but we’ve been working on this show since January, and
it is tiring. However, the fact that it’s such an uplifting, feel-good show
helps to keep your energy up.


It’s my two children’s Easter bonnet parade this morning so I go down to their
school, then I have a sleep at home in the afternoon. In the evening
performance we have a few problems with the bus, Priscilla. It’s basically a
million and a half pounds’ worth of computer so it can be a bit
temperamental. When I get in I have a glass of wine and mange to get eight
hours’ sleep as the kids are now on holiday.


In the morning I do some preparation for my Sunday evening radio show and then
a voice-over for a PlayStation game called Buzz. I have an early dinner
before it’s back to the theatre again. I’ve had some ups and downs in my
career, and while I don’t feel like this is a comeback as such, I feel there
is a sense of goodwill and I’ve delivered what I needed to deliver. People
have embraced what I’m doing in the show and I feel positive about my work
at this stage of my life and I haven’t felt that for a long time. It is
seriously exhausting, though. There is nothing easy about being this camp.

View full article here

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Ezine Article Board


This author has published 5774 articles so far.

Comments are closed