Do you feel like you’re one of the millions of people who are underpaid for the highly professional hard work that you do? Are you putting in too much energy into your job and not getting enough back from the company you work for? If so, there is something you can do about it!
If you want to move ahead in the rat race, and stand out above the millions of others, you need to learn to negotiate a salary raise from a place of empowerment. In order to get to that place, you need to plan ahead and intimately know how you will approach your boss for a pay raise. What will you say? What is your case for salary negotiation?
What are your motivations for stepping up your salary negotiation game? These are some great reasons to learn how to negotiate a salary like a pro.
1. Being respected by your boss. One common motivation for people is when they feel respected by their employers. When they feel respected, they are encouraged to do better work and step up their professional game. When you approach salary negotiation like a professional, you’re employer will recognize it, and will respect you more.
2. Respect for yourself. By going after the salary raise, and planning and preparing for a salary negotiation that you bring to a successful close, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment. You not only know you’re a hard working and deserving employee, you also know others believe it too. You will feel a great sense of pride in yourself when you negotiate a higher salary!
3. Extra cash flow. The main reason for negotiating your salary is to earn more money. You may want more income because you want to take a trip or a buy some special treat for yourself, or you may feel you need it to plan for your retirement. Either way, you won’t win the salary negotiation based on your wants or needs. You must have a solid foundation.
4. You may negotiate extra benefits. Many times, salary negotiations may not end with the final dollar figure that you had in mind, but you may instead compromise by negotiating a combination of salary and benefits. For many people the combination of extra cash and extra time off, or other benefits like pension, stock options, or other unique benefits are a big deal.
5. Raising the bar on your future salary negotiations. When you increase your salary, you will establish a new baseline for your career earnings. When you continue to perform like a superstar, you will enable yourself to negotiate future salary increases as well. By negotiating a higher salary now, you will have increased your future earning potential.
There are a tons of reasons to increase your skills in salary negotiation. Your career is not something to be taken lightly, and having a solid foundation in negotiating will be highly beneficial to your career.
To your financial success.
Author: Trevor Davide GrantThis author has published 6 articles so far.