Before you make an offer on that home of your dreams, it’s important ensure your purchase does not pose any health risks to you and your family. Engaging the services of a Halifax home inspection professional will put your mind at ease. They are well trained to spot any potentially harmful substances or materials, including:
MOLD AND MILDEW
Mold is everywhere, be it inside or outside your home. Although some people aren’t bothered by mold, all varieties have the potential to cause problems for the respiratory and immune systems. Mold growth can occur when moisture or water accumulates indoors and goes undetected or is not addressed.
A visual inspection, performed by an expert certified Halifax home inspector, will identify water leaks or moisture stains on ceilings, walls, floors, or under counters. The air conditioning and heating systems, the attic and crawl spaces under homes will be examined as well.
Mold sampling may be recommended if there is any noticeable mold growth, musty odors, visible water damage or stains, poorly maintained HVAC systems or construction defects.
The second most common cause of lung cancer, this colourless, odourless gas can seep into your home from the ground and cracks in concrete, floor drains, sump pump openings, and wall/floor joints in basements. Prolonged inhalation of radon decay products increases the risk of developing lung cancer.
A radon detection test will determine the existence of high levels of the gas.
A naturally occurring mineral once commonly used in building materials due to its superior fireproofing and insulating qualities, asbestos was eventually banned in 1985 as a building material. Commonly found in older homes, if disturbed or damaged, inhalation of asbestos fibers can lead to cancer.
A highly toxic metal used for many years in products in and around the home, lead’s adverse health effects range from behavioral problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death. Children age 6 and under are at greatest risk.
Look for peeling paint and check old pipes for rust.
Stockpiles of household items – such as paint solvents, pesticides, fertilizers, and motor oils – can create a dangerous situation if not properly stored or disposed. They can cause illness or even death if small amounts are ingested.
For the sake of yours’ and your family’s health, engaging the services of a qualified Halifax home inspection professional will be well worth the price.
Author: Robert HarrisThis author has published 2 articles so far.