Times now are hard and they are just going to get harder. Unless one does something about it, money problems will continue to grow. One way to cut down on monthly costs is to lower electricity bill by cutting down on your family?s usage. Aside from saving you money, it could also save the environment.
By making small sacrifices, you can drastically decrease the use of electricity in your home. Thus, you can lower electricity bill successfully. You may not appreciate the help right away, but in the long run the savings you will get will mount to huge amounts.
Follow these simple tips:
1. Windows – Use window films instead of blinds or curtains. Summer time is getting hotter and hotter. More people now are using their air conditioner in the most uncomfortable heat and that is usually around noon time. They usually close their curtains or blinds because the heat from the sunlight coming in only makes the heat worse.
Make use of daytime light. The problem with closing your blind during the daytime is the waste of sunlight. You end up turning on lights inside the house and that means using more energy. A perfect solution is to use window film. It allows the light from the sun to come in the house but stops the heat from going in with it. So you end up with a bright cold room.
2. Blankets – Turn off that heater and pile on the blankets. This is a simple and efficient way to give your heater a rest. During cold nights, you can just use more than the normal number of blankets that you use. An extra blanket on your bed is exactly what you need to push back the thermostat a couple of degrees back. This small act can save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
3. Unused Appliances – Unplug unnecessary appliances and electronics. Plugged appliances that are not used will still eat up energy. There are a number of appliances that are left plugged all around the house even though no one is using them. Unplugging these small appliances or electronics will lower your energy usage. Although it might be annoying to keep setting the time on the VCR or DVD player, it is worth the trouble. So unplug to save money, especially if the plugs are not hard to reach.
4. Ref Cleaning – Clean your refrigerator?s coils. The refrigerator is an important appliance in your home. It is also to blame for a huge portion of your electric bill. So if you take care of your refrigerator, you can control your energy usage. When your refrigerator has dirty condenser coils, it has to work harder to keep your food cool. Perform maintenance checks on your refrigerator every 3 months for optimum performance.
5. Auto Lighting – Use motion detectors to lower electricity bill. Forgetting to shut off lights is one of the problems many families face. These forgotten lights can add a lot to the electric bill. You can put them in rooms like the bathroom or garage where people usually forget to turn off the lights when they leave. This can save you a lot of money in the long run.
Author: Daniel ShermannThis author has published 2 articles so far.