How To Apply For DACA

If you came illegally into the United States when you were a child, you will know what it is like to live with the threat of deportation. However, you may now relax a little. This is thanks to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals initiative, also known as DACA.

The deferred action policy was released by the Obama administration in June 2012. It is part of an effort to streamline the immigration system. Basically it moves illegal immigrants who qualify to the back of the deportation line.

With this program, the Department of Homeland Security, also known as the DHS, will move you to the back of the line. They will prioritize the cases of other illegal immigrants instead. So, for two years you will be safe from deportation and you may even get a permit so that you can work in the country legally. Be aware though that the DHS can withdraw this status whenever they see the need to.

To qualify, you must have come to the United States as a child, before your sixteenth birthday. In addition, you should have been younger than thirty-one and without valid immigration status by the cut-off date of June 15, 2012. In other words, by the cut-off date you should not have been documented as an immigrant at all or your legal status must have expired.

For the five years before this cut-off date and all the time since then, you must have been living in the country without interruption. So, since June 15, 2007 you must have been living in no country other than the United States. This means that you were in American territory on June 15, 2012 as well, and also on the date that you sent in your deferred action application.

You cannot apply for deferred action if you have a criminal record. In addition, you may not have been convicted of three misdemeanors or more. This will show that you are not a threat to the country and that you have been living an exemplary life.

You should also be able to show that you have been spending your time in a productive way. You should either be going to school at the moment, have already graduated from school or have received general educational development certification. Alternatively you may qualify if you have been in the Coast Guard or Armed Forces and got an honorable discharge.

Deferred action will not give you legal status in the United States. In other words, you are not yet a citizen of the country and you can still be deported. It is only a temporary measure and you will still need to go through the usual processes of trying to get a green card and citizenship. Furthermore, your family will either have to apply for this relief too or apply for legal status. Just because you have been granted deferred action status does not mean that it makes them immune from deportation too.

If you want to apply for deferred action, you can get information from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. You can phone them and ask about DACA or you can go to their website. Here you will find out what paperwork to complete, what else you should submit and how much it will cost you to apply.

Check out to learn more about the DACA initiative, now. You can also get more information about a reputable immigration lawyer at today.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

Tags: ,


This author has published 2 articles so far.

Comments are closed